Tuesday 1 January 2019

Happy 2019!

Happy new year!!!

2018 had its ups and downs. I got funding for my last year of studies. I got a sessional lecturer position for the winter term which was awesome. I had some accepted papers. I got to travel for conferences. I have an awesome family and we all are alive, in good health. I am able to provide for my family against all odds. We have what we need. And my support system in 2018 was great. I had great support from friends, in particular my mentor (and friend too); he was always there for me when I needed him. I also had great support from my partner. So I have a lot to be thankful for.

I didn't have all I prayed for. I interviewed for 2 major tech companies but didn't get an offer in either place. I also interviewed for a postdoc in a top university but didn't get it also. I was disappointed, down and doubted myself a lot. But I have way more to be thankful for and I keep reminding myself of that. So this year, I'm just going to pick myself up and keep pushing.

I didn't have time to think of resolutions for the new year. But I have a few long term goals that I have set for myself with timelines. If I achieve them, I'll be happy and won't beat myself too much. There are some things I'll like to do more of this year. I won't term them resolutions but things that I have enjoyed doing over the second half of 2018 and I've found that I enjoy doing them and they help me when I feel down.

  • Seek God more, read His word more often and fellowship more with other believers.
  • Read more. I read in 2018 more than I did in the last 5 years and I enjoyed it. Reading books keeps me calm and settles me. Besides, it helps me build my vocabulary.
  • Believe more in myself. I always feel like I'm not good enough; this got worse when I didn't get any of the jobs I wanted last year. I'm not perfect but I know I'm good enough.
  • Write more. I had a journal in 2018 that helped me on those "off" days. I'll try to write more on this blog this year.

I wish each one of you a happy 2019. I pray that all you desire for yourself this year will come to pass (as long as you do your part). I pray that this year, I'll get that job that I dream of and that I'll finish my program in the first quarter of the year as planned. God help me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment